A Timely Reminder

14 Feb

At times, I become somewhat discouraged in my efforts to write things that will encourage and inspire people.

But I shouldn’t really. After spending forty-plus years in the Catholic Press, I should not be surprised when responses to my brilliant messages never or rarely show up.

This past week, when I mentioned I was about to give up writing, Susie, our daughter-in-law, reminded me about something I have always believed but had forgotten or ignored.

She said that if only one person is helped by what I write, that it is worth the effort.

I recalled that many years ago, a man called to tell me that one of my columns in The Florida Catholic newspaper encouraged him and his entire family to return to the Church. The column was on marriage and family.

I realize that if no one else was ever moved by my writings, all my work was worth it for that one wonderful response.

So, maybe my misgivings were due to the fatigue of old age or pride—or both.

Anyway, you folks are stuck with me until our Lord tells me otherwise.

Thanks, Susie.

Advertisements

21 Responses to “A Timely Reminder”

1. JAMES M ISADORE February 14, 2017 at 3:12 pm #

Deacon Henry–People very seldom return to the butcher to say the steak he provided was delicious; but that carefully cut meat provided much needed sustenance for the body. As a newspaper editor you know that readers do not write unless they are unhappy with something  that was written. Your words of wisdom are always spot on. So press on, Deacon Henry, knowing that your biggest fan is still The Lord Jesus Himself.                             –With much love, Jim Isadore

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:01 am #

Jim! Great to hear from you! Thank you dear friend for your friendship and for your many kindnesses–including this heartwarming message.

Henry

2. FS February 14, 2017 at 3:19 pm #

I’m not usually one who comments on anything, but I felt called to do so this morning. Your daughter-in-law is right, you never know who your message will help. I have had many trials in life and right now I am dealing with probably one of the hardest I have ever experienced, as my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer that has spread everywhere through his body. I have watched him shrivel down to skin and bones and my heart breaks that our family of six may loose their father before the end of this year. I have a very strong faith and know that God is going to see us through this and it is writings such as yours that help me to move forward day by day with the knowledge that God is with me, I search for words of encouragement and inspiration to keep me focused and to remind me to Trust in Him. Life is very busy these days and even more so when you are dealing with crisis, but just know that although you may not “see” that people are reading your words, Trust that God is guiding you to “us” who may not always have the time to say…Thank you; I really needed to read/hear these words!” May God bless you and your ministry.

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:03 am #

Dear FS, thank you for writing. I will be praying for your husband, you and your entire family. Your response has touched me deeply and given me a new energy. God bless you.

Deacon Henry

3. Catherine Zemalkowski February 14, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

Please don’t give up writing. Your messages are always heart warming and always make impressions on my heart. I’ve grown closer to my faith because of your compassionate messages. Thank you.

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:09 am #

Dear Catherine, sitting behind this keyboard can, at times, see fruitless. Your response–and all the others–have touched me deeply and renewed my commitment to continue as long as the Lord gives me grace, insight, discernment and understanding.

Deacon Henry

4. Mike February 14, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

Thank God…My dear OLD friend.
    Mike

5. Conny Loftus February 14, 2017 at 4:11 pm #

Yahoo! So glad we get the benefit of your efforts.

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:13 am #

And so glad you are a reader and thanks for sharing.

Deacon Henry

6. Marian Crawford February 14, 2017 at 4:30 pm #

Love you, Deacon Henry!!! I love your blog and your teachings at King of kings Prayer Group!!! Keep up the great work!!!
    In God’s Tender Love,
    Marian

P.S. I have a new email (mtcrawford12@gmail.com), so please delete the old one (crawgrove@embarqmail.com) from your blog group. Love you & God bless you!!! O:-)

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:14 am #

Marian, you are spoiling me. Thanks for your encouragement and prayers and for your friendship over these many years,

Deacon Henry

7. LINDA MONTGOMERY February 14, 2017 at 5:19 pm #

Writing is as much a part of you as breathing, Henry!!! You can’t stop. A voice from the very distant past who is always lurking (and praying for you and Peg, too)!!!!! Linda (Simpson) Montgomery

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:20 am #

Hello, Linda! I tried holding my breath once for an hour. I didn’t get past two minutes. I guess that’s just a hint of my desire to write–and the encouragement of all of you responders is a blessing. Thanks for your prayers!

By the way, we got word that our 38th and 39th great-grandchildren are on the way.

Pas Domini!

8. chericowell4 February 14, 2017 at 7:51 pm #

Your words are a blessing to many who never write, but then like the woman who called after I spoke today and told me that something I said made her realize she needed more healing in an area of her life, God gives us a glimpse of what it will be like when we get to heaven and meet all those whose lives we impacted and we never knew. But God knows. Keep on keeping on my friend.

• Henry Libersat February 15, 2017 at 2:26 am #

Thank you Cheri. Your encouragement, along with the other seven responders, is like a breath of fresh air and a good helping of Cajun Chicken Gumbo.

Please keep all who write, preach, speak and work for the Gospel of the Lord in your prayers.

One of my favorite lines in the Breviary is this: “O Lord, unwearied is your love for us.”

I pray that my love for him will be tireless as well.

Deacon Henry

9. Mark Fry February 15, 2017 at 11:00 pm #

I am happy to be stuck with you!

10. margekut@comcast.net February 20, 2017 at 3:05 pm #

We may never know what becomes of our seed planting. Some plant, some water, some reap. Thanks for continuing. In Jesus, Marge

11. Jeanne A Diener Stark August 9, 2018 at 2:06 pm #

You saved me a few times!!! Practical advice to work in the real world!